A tourist licence is a legal document that allows owners of holiday homes to rent them to tourists in a legal and regulated manner. Obtaining a tourist licence is compulsory in many cities and regions, and non-compliance can lead to fines and penalties.
In Spain, each autonomous community has its own regulations and requirements for obtaining a tourist licence. In general, the property is required to meet certain quality and safety standards, and to comply with certain regulations regarding cleanliness and maintenance. It is important to note that tourist licences are specific to each property, so the same licence cannot be used to rent several properties.
In Alicante, obtaining a tourist licence is governed by the Tourism Law of the Valencian Community. The process for obtaining a tourist licence in Alicante is as follows:
- Verify that the property complies with the requirements: Before applying for a tourist licence, it is important to verify that the dwelling meets the quality and safety requirements required by law. This includes having adequate facilities for air conditioning, electricity and water, and meeting safety standards for construction and furnishings.
- Obtain the Certificate of Suitability of the property: To obtain this certificate, it is necessary to hire a specialised technician to carry out an inspection of the property and verify that it complies with the requirements demanded by law. This certificate is essential for the process of obtaining the tourist licence.
- Submit the application for the tourist licence: Once you have the Certificate of Aptitude, you can proceed to submit the application for the tourist licence at the Alicante Town Hall. It is important to have all the necessary documentation, including the Certificate of Aptitude, the land registry and proof of payment of the corresponding fees.
- Inspection of the dwelling: Once the application has been submitted, an inspection of the dwelling will be carried out by Alicante City Council inspectors. In this inspection, it will be verified that the property complies with all the requirements of the law.
- Obtaining the tourist licence: If the property complies with all the requirements, a tourist licence will be granted, which will allow the owner to rent the property to tourists in a legal and regulated manner.
It is important to note that the process of obtaining a tourist licence can be lengthy and complex, so it is recommended that owners start the process well in advance before planning to rent out the property. In addition, it is important that owners maintain the property in good condition and comply with all regulations and safety standards, as inspections can be carried out at any time.
Regarding the specific regulations on tourist licences in Alicante, it is important to mention that the Tourism Law of the Valencian Community establishes that all properties rented to tourists must have a tourist licence, without exception. In addition, sanctions and fines are established for those owners who rent out their properties without the corresponding licence.
In Alicante, certain regulations are also established regarding the maximum number of tourists that can be accommodated in a tourist property. This depends on the size of the property. For example, a one-bedroom property can only accommodate a maximum of two tourists, while a three-bedroom property can accommodate a maximum of six tourists.
- All year round.
- Start: prior to the start of the activity.
- Modifications: once the modifications have been made.
- Termination: when it occurs.
A model application form for a tourist licence in Alicante is provided below.
Alicante City Council. Tourism Department.
Calle del Ayuntamiento, 1 03002 Alicante.
Or online at the Generalitat Valenciana website.
IMPORTANT: Remember to electronically sign your responsible declaration.
For any type of communication to the tourism administration, the DECLARATION OF RESPONSIBILITY REGARDING TOURIST HOUSING ACTIVITIES form must be submitted electronically, duly completed and electronically signed, available in the associated forms section of this procedure or through the self-registration procedures, in the case of physical persons.
- A) TO NOTIFY THE START OF ACTIVITY.
Those who intend to develop the activity of tourist accommodation, in any of its modalities, must submit electronically, duly completed and electronically signed, the responsible declaration form addressed to the Territorial Tourism Service of the province in which the dwellings are located, in which they state their compliance with the applicable requirements for the intended typology, and, where applicable, classification, and the commitment to maintain them during the period of validity of the activity.
The Territorial Tourism Service of the corresponding province will be responsible for the organisation and investigation of the procedure.
The presentation of the responsible declaration communicating the start-up and tourist classification is obligatory for the exercise of the activity.
- a) A duly completed and electronically signed declaration of responsibility form referred to in Article 23 of Decree 10/2021 regulating tourist accommodation, stating:
– That he/she has the availability of the dwelling(s) for tourist use and the documentation that proves it (title deed of the property, rental contract, authorisation for management between owner and company or other valid title for this purpose).
-The dwelling/s have the requirements demanded by the regulations for their classification in the category and capacity reported, and that these requirements will be maintained for the duration of the activity.
– The dwelling(s) has (have) a favourable municipal report of urban development compatibility that allows the tourist use.
– That the dwelling(s) has (have) an occupancy licence.
– That the establishment has a civil liability insurance policy or other equivalent guarantee to cover the damages that may be caused in the development of its activity. The minimum amount of the insured capital is in accordance with the maximum number of places declared.
- b) together with the duly completed and electronically signed responsible declaration form, a list of dwellings for tourist use shall be provided, with a favourable report on urban development compatibility.
- B) TO REPORT CHANGES OR MODIFICATIONS of classification, period of operation, denomination, capacity, owner, or other)
All modifications or changes relating to a dwelling for tourist use must be notified to the Territorial Tourism Service of the province in which the dwelling for tourist use is located, by submitting by telematic means the form of the responsible declaration, duly completed and electronically signed, available in the associated forms section of this procedure, accompanied by the documents that, where appropriate, justify the modification or change.
Modifications that affect the change of ownership of the tourist accommodation must be notified to the Territorial Tourism Service of the province in which the tourist accommodation is located, by submitting by telematic means the duly completed and electronically signed form of the declaration of responsibility, accompanied by the documents that, where appropriate, justify it.
To do so, you must fill in:
– That it has the accrediting documentation that justifies them, and that the dwelling/s have the requirements demanded by the regulations for their classification in the category and with the capacity communicated and that these requirements will be maintained for the duration of the activity.
The modification of other information that does not entail substantial modifications will only require prior notification to the competent Territorial Tourism Service, by means of the online presentation of the responsible declaration form, available in the section on forms associated with this procedure.
The process of obtaining a holiday rental licence may seem complicated, but in reality it isn’t. The biggest stumbling block you may encounter is having to read several legal texts, but once you know the basic steps you will not be so lost.