* When carrying out an interior refurbishment of a home, it is necessary to know when to have an initial interior refurbishment project duly approved by a professional association and necessary to obtain a building permit. In this type of work, it is important to make the right decisions from the start. It is never advisable to rush into building work without initial technical advice. In this way you can avoid the administrative contingencies that may arise if you are not familiar with the process for this type of work.

When is an Interior Reform Project necessary?

The answer to these questions depends on several factors, since before starting this type of reform, it is advisable to seek initial technical advice, as this will help to avoid the administrative contingencies that can arise if the process is not known in this type of action.

In which cases is an interior refurbishment project necessary?

The Ley de Ordenación de la Edificación (LOE) specifies which types of works must have an interior reform project. This project must be submitted to the Town Hall of the locality in which the property to be refurbished is located, and must be approved so that the works do not breach any previous legal requirements. According to the LOE, the works in which it is essential to present an interior reform project are:

Structural component reforms

These are works that affect the structure of the building, such as pillars, beams or ceilings. For this type of work, an architect must be hired to carry out the project. If it is a flat, it will also be necessary to notify the community of owners and request a major works permit from the Town Hall.

Reforms that change the layout of the dwelling

If the work consists of raising or removing a wall to change the layout of the home, it will be necessary to reapply for the cédula de habitabilidad (certificate of occupancy). This is a document that verifies that the house meets the criteria of soundness and health required by law. Once this document has been obtained, the Town Hall will be responsible for approving the work by issuing a minor works licence.

Finishing reforms

For minor alterations, such as a change of flooring, tiling or painting, it is only necessary to apply for a permit for information purposes, i.e. a building permit.

Alterations to increase the initial surface area

If the reform involves a modification of the initial distribution, an enlargement of the dwelling by enclosing the patio or a terrace, it will be necessary to take into account what is allowed by the current town planning regulations. For this type of case, a building permit must be applied for.

Works affecting the façade

If the renovation involves actions such as opening a new window or moving the front door, installations such as downpipes, ventilation, or if there are actions in public road areas, a building permit is required.

How do I know in which cases an interior renovation project is necessary?

It is the Ley de Ordenación de la Edificación (LOE) that specifies which types of works must have an interior reform project. This project must be presented to the Town Hall of the locality where the property to be refurbished is located, and must be approved so that the works do not breach any previous requirements. According to the LOE, the works that require an interior reform project are:

  • Works of extension, reform, modification or refurbishment of a dwelling that alter the original architectural configuration of the building or its supporting structure.
  • Works that alter the architectural configuration of the dwelling in whole or in part, or in any case that produce a variation in the general composition of the building. For example, if it affects the composition of the façade or if there are actions in areas of the public road, etc.
  • Interior refurbishment works that aim to change the original uses or functions of the building.

It is important to take these aspects into account. If the reform you intend to do responds to these assumptions or it is a different case but you are still unclear whether or not you should request an interior reform project, contact us. We will give you advice on all the steps to follow and we will carry out a project adapted to your needs and requirements. Ask for a personalised quote that efficiently resolves everything you need for your interior refurbishment.

What is the Building Permit?

A building permit is a compulsory permit to carry out construction or building work on a building or home. Not all building works are the same, as there are Minor Building Permits and Major Building Permits depending on the magnitude of the modifications to be carried out.

Minor Works Licence

Minor works licences are those that are granted for simple works, where the structure of the property is not modified, so it is not necessary to present a works project. For example: refurbishment of homes or premises, restoration or rehabilitation, installation of enclosures, changes of windows and doors, repairs to plumbing, electricity, coatings, sanitation, fencing of plots, boundary lines, construction of swimming pools, septic tanks, among others.

Major Works Licence

A building permit, planning permission or building permit is a permit that modifies the structure and elements of a building, which is why it is necessary to present a project in order to apply for a building permit. Major works are considered to be new construction works, comprehensive renovation, extension works in terms of height and volume, works that involve a change in the use of the building, etc.

What is a change of use?

It is an interior reform project that involves modifications to comply with the new use to be carried out. The use of any property is based on adapting it to the conditions required for the new use. It will always require reforms, more or less important depending on the case and the concession of the change by the corresponding town council.

Converting premises into a dwelling is based on a change of use. The aim of the process must be to obtain the certificate of occupancy for first occupation, just as in any other housing construction process.

A change of use is carried out by means of a change of use project, signed by an architect, which includes all the modifications required to adapt the property to its new characteristics.

How much does it cost?

The cost of the project and the architect’s project management for change of use must be calculated on a case-by-case basis. For information purposes, the cost will depend on the contract budget and varies according to the metres of intervention:

  • from 0 to 50m2 price 7.6 % CEB
  • from 50 to 100m2 price 7.2 % CEB
  • from 100 to 200m2 price 6.6 % CEB
  • from 200 to 400m2 price 6.1 % CEB
  • from 400 to 600m2 price 5.7 % CEB